Review of Gentlemen's Refinery Pre Shave Oil
Once in a while I come across a line of shaving products which is in a league of its own. It's happened again with The Gentlemen's Refinery, sent over by our good friends at Details for Men. Quite frankly I've been dreading writing this review because it means that afterward I will be moving on to another set of shaving products. So we're going to stretch this out all week - one product from Gentlemen's Refinery per day. That way I get another couple shaves in before I have to say goodbye.
For a little history on the Gentlemen's Refinery, master barber Perry Gastis, and the quest for the ultimate organic shave, visit our first post from back in March. Then come on back as we dive into some pre shave oil.
Pre Shave Oil from Gentlemen's Refinery comes in a handy pump-top container. I'll skip my usual accolades for the pump-top and go directly into the oil itself, which you apply to a dry face after a shower or hot towel treatment. (Master barber Perry Gastis says that a shower or hot towel before shaving is enough to soften up your face for shaving. Washing your face is not necessarily a prerequisite.)
I tended to use a fair amount of the oil - three to four squirts. You could definitely experiment with less. The pump-top made it easy to get the oil in the palms of my hands, and then on my face. This may seem like a minor point, but try getting the right amount of oil out of an unforgiving bottle and you've got a mess. Or a waste.
Ingredients and Aroma
The oil has a mild scent, somewhere between woody and floral. Key ingredients include
- Sunflower seed oil is certified organic for a level of purity
- Jojoba oil provides fast penetration and will carry essential fatty acids found in the sunflower seed oil into the skin
- Lime essential oil has antiseptic properties as well as restorative, astringent and toning action to clear oily skin and acne, and also helps with herpes, insect bites and cuts.
- Roman Chamomile is used to treat rashes and irritated skin as well as to calm acne, eczema, rashes, wounds, dermatitis, and dry, itchy skin and other allergic conditions in general.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant known for healing skin.
If you are at all interested in Gentlemen's Refinery products I strongly suggest you include the Pre Shave Oil in your order. It's clear from my usage that these guys have spent a large amount of time coming up with the ultimate shave, and Pre Shave Oil is an essential part of that. We'll talk more tomorrow about "The Standard" Shaving Cream and the shave itself, but my recommendation is you go all in and buy the complete shaving line.
Gentlemen's Refinery's Pre Shave Oil is $25 for a 50ml bottle.
Read More in: Brands | Gentlemen's Refinery | Regular Shaving | Reviews | Shaving Oils
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Shaving Stuff for all the latest news.
Posted by Russell Neufeld at July 9, 2007 8:29 AM